The Worlds of Terri Pray

The highs and lows of chasing a writing dream. From fantasy to erotica and beyond as seen through the eyes of Terri Pray.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

I'm a wife, mother, author, chat site owner and rpger. That's only scratching the surface though, I doubt any person can be described in a few short sentances. I write for Final Sword Productions, Loose-ID, Magic Carpet Books, Chippewa Publishing and Under the Moon, an imprint of Final Sword.

Sunday, April 01, 2012

D6 Epic - A is for Attributes


A lot of people are doing the 30 day blog challenge, and I thought I'd give it a go as well! Each day I have to post something that ties into a letter of the alphabet. Today being the letter A.

Over the past year or so my husband, Sam, has been working along with Matt Ewertz, Scott Palter and myself, to create a new core rule book for a D6 system. Although I played RPG's in my teens it's been a while since I've played an established game, so I've come back into this almost as a newbie. So, what's my job where the game is concerned, apart from writing fiction snippets, it's my task to turn game geek speak into English so that returnies and newbies won't feel as if they're reading a foreign language.

Right now Sam is also working on a D6 Epic message board and website for people interested in the game, and I'll have the link by 5th April.

So keep in mind my posts about the game system will be from the viewpoint of someone returning to gaming - and as such I interviewed Sam about attributes in the system.

With that said - A is for Attributes.

Terri Q:What is one?

Sam A:Attributes are the abilities you are born and there are seven core ones which are as strength, agility, intelligence, knowledge (in this it refers to the ability to remember things)reflexes, perception and willpower.

Terri Q:Okay, that's cool, but what do you actually 'need' these attributes for? What part do they play in being able to play the game?

Sam A: Your character needs skills to do things. The skills are based off certain attributes. An example would be - if you wanted a character to be able to bend bars, break doors, crush heads, then you'd need the strength attribute and would focus your attribute points on increasing your strength.

Terri Q: Isn't that just a complicated way of having skill sets?

Sam A: No. Because if your character does not have the skill break, but still wanted to break a door in, they could attempt it with just their strength attribute - it would just be more difficult to accomplish.

Terri Q: Sounds complicated to me. Why isn't it?

Sam A: D6 Epic has difficulty numbers when you attempt to do something. When you have a skill that difficulty number is lower than just relying on your attribute.

Terri Q: Hold on, does this mean I have to sit there with a calculator to work all of this out?

Sam A: No, the GM decides on the difficulty number for you and you roll die. If your total is over it, you do it. If it's under, you don't. And no, we're not putting massive amount of work on the GM here, because there are tables he or she can modify to keep the game running smoothly.



I'll be pestering Sam with more questions as the month continues!

10 Comments:

Anonymous Jolie du Pre said...

My son has got the game thing down. Me on the other hand...

10:12 AM  
Blogger Terri Pray said...

The type of gaming we do is like interactive story telling. In fact the better you are at story telling the more rewards you get in the game. It's this type of game that first sparked my real interest in writing.

Feel free to ask questions any time, Jolie!

10:32 AM  
Blogger THE SARCASM GODDESS said...

It's great to meet another A to Zer! Good luck with the challenge.

10:34 AM  
Blogger Terri Pray said...

Thanks! It's going to be something of a push for me, but I'm going to try!

10:47 AM  
Blogger Van Noa said...

This comment has been removed by the author.

3:42 PM  
Blogger Van Noa said...

Hi Terri,
Just stopping by to see how your A-Z posts are coming along.

I do have a clarification to ask though. What is the primary difference between Agility and Reflexes? While one is generally speed/mobility and the other is reaction time/initiative there is quite a bit of overlap there.

3:55 PM  
Blogger Terri Pray said...

I cheated here, and copied straight from the rule book Sam is working on.

Agility (hand eye coordination): A quantification of hand-eye coordination and fine motor abilities.

Reflexes (Grace, balance): A indication of balance, limberness, quickness, and full motor abilities.

Yes, we know it doesn't follow the traditional definition of agility, but it's been done this way to make the differences clearer.

4:13 PM  
Blogger Van Noa said...

No worries, I use Agility in place of Dexterity in my normal games as I've never quite felt hand-eye coordination should be lumped together quick reaction time and the like.

I actually use Coordination and Reflexes in my Zombie game, where coordination is the vaunted shooting attribute and reflexes determines whether you can make it through a zombie horde unscathed.

5:55 PM  
Blogger Terri Pray said...

Glad it made sense. Hope you're enjoying the rest of the posts so far.

6:44 PM  
Blogger Kayla Yow said...

Visiting from the A to Z Challenge blog hop. Really enjoyed your post - it is good for all gamers - even those who have played for a while {like me}!

8:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home