The Worlds of Terri Pray

The highs and lows of chasing a writing dream. From fantasy to erotica and beyond as seen through the eyes of Terri Pray.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

I'm a wife, mother, author, chat site owner and rpger. That's only scratching the surface though, I doubt any person can be described in a few short sentances. I write for Final Sword Productions, Loose-ID, Magic Carpet Books, Chippewa Publishing and Under the Moon, an imprint of Final Sword.

Tuesday, July 05, 2005

The Balancing Act

With two children under five and a husband whose health often means that help around the house can be sporadic I’m often asked how I balance writing with being a wife and mother. The simple answer is I sometimes don’t.

I own a lap top, and use that primarily for my writing. It’s always on when I am in the living room, or I take it into the bedroom for some dedicated writing time away from the distractions of the net, housework, phone and kids. That might sound selfish to some people but how many parents take their children to work with them? Do you take them to the office, restaurant, factory or hospital? No, most don’t do that, most either stay at home or place their children in child care so they can go to work and pay the bills. This is no different.

I love writing, it’s fun for me, I have this chance to explore new worlds this way but it’s also how I pay the bills. It is employment. Don’t ask me what else I do for a living as if this is a hobby, or make assumptions that I live off my husband’s income (we don’t). Because this is work I do sometimes leave the kids in the care of my husband. There are times he cooks, cleans, keeps them out of my hair, then there are times I slowly write a few lines here and there in between looking after my kids. Those days I am on a deadline or have a story that won’t let go are the days they loose me for a time.

I’m lucky, I have family and friends who accept this is a part of who I am. They cheer me on, support me time wise, put up with me stumbling into bed at odd hours of the day and night. So if there is a balancing act it isn’t one I’m doing, but the one my family manages in order to allow me to remain a part of their lives whilst I work.

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi,

This is Alana (a fellow MomWriter) and I loved this post. I work from home FT and am writing this sitting on the floor with my daughter and my laptop. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who does this. Gotta do what you gotta do.
Take care!
Alana
www.alanamorales.com

10:55 AM  
Blogger Terri Pray said...

Hey Alana

thanks for the comment, and it's good to see others understand what it is like to do this. It's not uncommon to see me on the lap top with my youngest settledin next to me as I work. We do what we must do.

Terri

7:43 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home