The Worlds of Terri Pray

The highs and lows of chasing a writing dream. From fantasy to erotica and beyond as seen through the eyes of Terri Pray.

Name:
Location: Minnesota, United States

I'm a wife, mother, author, chat site owner and rpger. That's only scratching the surface though, I doubt any person can be described in a few short sentances. I write for Final Sword Productions, Loose-ID, Magic Carpet Books, Chippewa Publishing and Under the Moon, an imprint of Final Sword.

Saturday, November 11, 2006

Kitty and the Midnight Hour

Kitty and the Midnight Hour, by Carrie Vaughn. ISBN 0-446-61641-9

This is a book I was given as part of the World Fantasy 2005 book bag and it sat on my shelf for just over a year before I finally got around to reading it.

It’s told in first person, which is often hard for me to get into but once I managed to get into the voice of the author it became easier. One of the problems I normally have with first person is associating, slipping into, the authors voice, but in this case after about the first five pages it became fairly natural for me.

Kitty Norville is a midnight shift DJ for a Denver Radio station, but what most people don’t realize at first is that she’s also a closet werewolf. After endless nights of lame song requests she takes a call from someone about ‘bat boy’ and ends up starting the Midnight House, a late night call in/advice show for the ‘supernaturally disadvantaged’

Her growing popularity with the show brings problems of its own. The leader of her pack, Carl and his mate, Meg are less than happy about the situation. The head of the vampire family is non too pleased about his vampires turning to Kitty for help, and there’s a rogue werewolf on the run in Denver…

To top it all Kitty takes a call that changes her life even more, if that is physically possible.

“I know what you are and I’m coming to kill you. Now.”

It was this line on the inside front page of the book, used as a book blurb, that hooked me. All right there was one other detail, the would be assassin goes by the name of Cormac and I have a weakness for that name for some odd reason.

Will Cormac kill her? Well I’m not going to spoil the book for you, but I do strongly recommend this novel for those who were original Anita Blake fans before the kill junkie aspects were lost. The story combines a modern setting, with a believable character who progresses from being the scared cub/baby of the pack into a woman ready to take on the world if she can learn to keep her inner wolf under control. The pack structure in the story demonstrates how the constant jostling for power can occur within the pack, how a submissive beta can, by being in the right place at the wrong time, become a threat to an Alpha. And how Alpha doesn’t always mean good guy.

I strongly recommend the novel and I’ll be on the look out for book two which apparently came out summer 06, called Kitty goes to Washington.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home